Here are some key elements that make our homes energy efficient:
1.Insulation: Proper insulation in walls, ceilings, and floors keeps the desired temperature inside and prevents heat loss in winter and heat gain in summer. A common recommendation is to use materials with high R-value, which measures the insulations effectiveness. Proper installation and sealing gaps are crucial for maximum efficiency. Montorio’s specifications include a minimum of R20, and higher insulation, depending on model of the house. For Attic insulation, we use R50 insulation that has been blown in to retain heat and keep out the cold winter weather.
2. Windows and Doors: High efficiency homes typically use double or triple-pane windows, often filled with gases like argon or krypton, prevent heat transfer. Energy-efficient doors and windows also have good sealing to prevent air leaks. Our Bene Specifications use double pane windows, and our Avanti and Premium specifications use Triple Pain windows which makes the home more energy efficient, and also acts as a better sound barrier that single pane windows.
3. Heating and Cooling: High-efficiency HVAC systems, geothermal systems, or ductless mini-splits consume less energy. Proper maintenance and cleaning also play a role. Montorio’s standard specifications includes the Lifebreath HVAC system. A continued commitment to excellence and providing the best possible indoor air is what sets Lifebreath apart. Benefits include:• Maximum Heat Transfer – keeping your home warm while maximizing air quality• Best-In-Class Lifetime Warranty – providing a lifetime of performance• Ease of Maintenance – designed for easy access and preservation• Maximum Airflow Design – featuring a perfect balance of heat recovery and airflow• Non-Toxic and Environmentally Friendly – ensuring maximum environmental stewardship• Durability in All Climates – offering complete performance no matter where you live.
4. Water Heating: On-demand or tankless water heaters, solar water heaters, or heat pump water heaters can significantly reduce energy use. Montorio’s standard specifications include, high efficiency direct vent hot water tanks.
5. Lighting: LED or CFL bulbs consume significantly less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs. Montorio’s standard lighting includes LED lighting.
6. Home Automation: Smart thermostats, lights, and appliances can be programmed to operate only when needed, optimizing energy use. Montorio standard Avanti and Premier specifications includes a Smart home package including these items.
7. Sealing and Weather-stripping: Ensuring that all joints, seams, and penetrations in the building envelope are sealed prevents drafts and improves energy efficiency. Montorio’s standard specifications include high quality sealing and weather-stripping in all crucial areas.
8. Ventilation: Proper ventilation ensures fresh air intake and reduces the need for air conditioning, while energy recovery ventilators can precondition incoming air, conserving energy. Montorio’s standard includes high efficiency ventilation systems.
9. Water Conservation: Efficient plumbing fixtures, like low-flow toilets and faucets, reduce water waste and the energy needed to heat that water. Montorio’s standards include all energy efficient plumbing fixtures.
10. Strategic placement of trees and shrubs can provide shade in summer and block cold winds in winter, reducing heating and cooling needs.